The Sweet Things in Life

Monday, August 12, 2013

Sneaky (Sleepy) Layton


Years ago, this started happening…

 
Lydia would get up, in the middle of the night, and get into Layton's crib with her. It was sweet but I was scared that someone was going to get hurt, so at 15 months old, Layton moved into Lydia’s bed with her. They had plenty of room and both were super happy. And to be honest, it melted my heart seeing my girls cuddled up together at night!

So for 3 years, they have been sleeping together. Then about 6 months ago, Lydia started asking when Layton was going to start sleep in her own bed.  :(  So, we explained to Layton that she was going to have to start sleeping in her own bedroom. This did not go well! Layton has never really LOVED her room. Until recently she wouldn’t even play in there by herself. Sadly, that night we made her get in her bed by herself. She cried a LOT. After about 5 minutes, Lydia (crying herself!) came to us and said she wanted her back in her bed, that she couldn’t stand to hear her cry. So, back to Lydia’s bed she went!  

So over the course of the past several months, I have been talking to Layton about her room. Things have gotten much better. She is excited about her room and she has started playing in there a lot more. Three weeks ago she was helping me clean house. While we were cleaning, I rearranged my living room and she asked if we could rearrange her room too. Of course, I said yes. After we were done, she was so happy with how it was all arranged and said she was going to start sleeping in her bed. Sure enough, that night she slept in her bed all night!  She is doing ok, not great but not horrible! Some mornings, I find this… Lydia in Layton’s bed!

 
Some mornings, I find her in Lydia’s bed and some nights she comes and gets in bed with us! Most mornings I find toys, babies, etc. in bed with her. This means that after I tuck her in, she gets back up and plays. Some nights, we see her crawling through the hallway, on all fours, trying to sneak into another room. I do believe that she will get better with time, so I try not to fuss at her too much! But last night, we found this…

 
We put the girls to bed last night around 8:30. At 10:00, Lydia came into our room laughing. Lydia originally came our way to talk to us but when she got to our room, she found her little sister asleep on the floor by our back door, which is right outside our bedroom. I guess she was going to sneak into our room but got sleepy in the process! Poor thing, however I am proud to say that after I put her back to bed, she stayed in her bed all night!


No comments:

Post a Comment