The Sweet Things in Life

Friday, March 25, 2011

"Lydia, why won't you answer the phone?"

Lydia received her first phone call yesterday afternoon from one of her friends. The little girl left 3 messages on our machine. Apparently she gets home much earlier than we do! Her messages were so funny. She spelled her name and each time she would ask where Lydia was and why wouldn’t she answer the phone! After listening to all 3 messages, which took at least 10 minutes, Lydia asked to call her back. I don’t think she really understood what it meant to call a friend and talk. I told her to take the phone in her room so that they could hear each other and she could pay attention. I could hear her back there, “yes”, “no”. She didn’t have much to say. I remembered all those times growing up talking on the phone to my friends. My friends and I lived on the phone. I can remember staying by the phone, waiting on it to ring! I have a feeling in several years, her short answering will change and we will have to beg her to get off!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I dread those days. We did LIVE on the phone. I noticed Ema doing something scary the other day. She had my phone and was taking her finger and moving it across the screen. She comes to me and said "Mommy, this is not working" (I DO NOT HAVE AN I PHONE) She is only 3 and can work and I phone. They grow up way to fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids still can't figure out how to talk on the phone. It drives me crazy. Maybe I should have started them off younger. My kids are still baffled by the concept of leaving messages. It will go to voicemail, and my kids, with the phone still on will hold it out and yell, "Mom, it just beeped, what should I do?" Yup, it drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete